The system that started life as a British company, the Smyrna Cassaba Railway, was replaced by the French 'Societe Ottomane du Chemin de fer de Smyrne-Cassaba et Prolongements' in July 1893. It was the latter that built the majority of the system with a long extension from Alasehir to Afyon and the line from Soma to Bandirma on the Sea of Marmara. The original company had built the line from Izmir Basmane to Cassaba (now Turgutlu) and the Turkish government had financed the extension to Alasehir. The pattern of passenger services over these lines remained very much the same over the years with daily trains between Izmir & Afyon and Izmir & Bandirma with an intensive suburban service from Izmir Basmane to Çiyli & Bornova. Also included on this page are a few shots on the line from Balikesir to Kütahya opened in 1932 which although not part of the SCP system became the route used by Izmir to Ankara services.
To view any full size image and caption details please click the maroon button below each thumbnail