A postcard from the Roy Allen collection showing a Cooke built 4-6-0 approaching Tolten on the 70km long branch from Freire. Until 1958 when it was taken over by the state, the line was operated by the FC de Freire a Tolten. The line was abandoned however following an earthquake in the Tolten area in 1960. Chris Walker Collection
The photographs in this gallery cover the 1079km long broad gauge main line south from Santiago to Puerto Montt, which was opened in stages between 1857 and 1913. Along with broad gauge branches, two narrow gauge feeder lines are also depicted here; the 60cm gauge line from Saboya to Capitan Pastena and a single shot on the metre gauge branch from Los Lagos to Rinihue. The latter started life as the FC Transandino de Los Lagos a San Martin de Los Andes but had only constructed the 40km line to Rinihue by 1910; which was taken over by the state in 1942 and closed shortly after the photograph was taken. There is also a postcard of the metre gauge FC de Punta Arenas a Mina Loreto opened in 1902 to serve a coal mine some 8kms away. The mine closed in 1948 and the railway in 1950. Finally the 600mm gauge FC Militar de Puente Alto a El Volcan operated by the Chilean army is portrayed in a couple of scenes. This 62km long line opened to El Volcan in 1913 and provided a common carrier service for the public as well as serving military needs, finally closing around 1978.
To view any full size image and caption details please click the maroon button below each thumbnail