A postcard from the John Alsop collection of metre gauge 2-6-0 number 105 heading her train through the streets of Coquimbo. First opened as the FC de La Serena a Las Cardas in 1862 as a broad gauge line, later extended to Ovalle. It was taken over by the state in 1895 and converted to metre gauge in 1913 as a key section of the northern longitudinal line : Chris Walker Collection
Apart from the 3 systems covered separately, this gallery will cover those lines north of Santiago on which we have pictures available. These comprise the state owned broad gauge line to Valparaiso, the metre gauge, FC de Iquique a Pueblo Hundido also state owned and the FC Arica - La Paz along with the two 3ft 6in gauge nitrate systems that passed to the Socied Quimica y Minera de Chile SA in 1968. The latter are the FC Tocopilla al Toco and the since closed FC de Taltal a Cachinal, abandoned in 1976. The future of the FC Tocopilla al Toco is in doubt following a severe washout.
To view any full size image and caption details please click the maroon button below each thumbnail